Open Work Permit

  • Home
  • Open Work Permit
Open Work Permit
Need a help

Contact us by phone or submit your inquire online. We will response as soon as possible.

Request Callback

Would you like to speak to one of our consultant over phone? Just submit your details and we’ll be in touch shortly. You can also email us if you would prefer.

    Open Work Permit
    What is an open work permit?

    An open work permit is a work permit that is not job-specific. Because it is not job-specific, you will not need the following when you apply for your work permit:

    • a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Employment and Social Development Canada; or
    • proof that an employer has submitted an offer of employment through the Employer Portal and paid the employer compliance fee.

    In most cases, you will have to pay the open work permit holder fee at the same time that you pay the work permit fee. Check the fee list for the most up-to-date application fees.

    Who can apply for an open work permit?

    You may be eligible for an open work permit if you:

    • are an international student who graduated from a designated learning institution and are eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program
    • are a student who’s no longer able to meet the costs of your studies (destitute student)
    • applied for permanent residence in Canada
    • are a dependent family member of someone who applied for permanent residence
    • are the spouse or common-law partner of a skilled worker or international student
    • are the spouse or common-law partner of an applicant of the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program
    • are a refugee, refugee claimant, protected person or their family member
    • are under an unenforceable removal order
    • are a temporary resident permit holder
    • are a young worker participating in special programs

    In each of these situations, you must meet additional criteria to be eligible.