Federal Skilled Trade Program

  • Home
  • Federal Skilled Trade Program
Federal Skilled Trade Program
Need a help

Contact us by phone or submit your inquire online. We will response as soon as possible.

Request Callback

Would you like to speak to one of our consultant over phone? Just submit your details and we’ll be in touch shortly. You can also email us if you would prefer.

    Federal Skilled Trade Program

    Minimum requirements


    To be eligible, you must

    Meet the required language levels for each language ability

    • writing
    • reading
    • listening
    • speaking

    Skilled work experience

    • Skilled trades for the Federal Skilled Trades Program are organized under these groups of the National Occupational Classification (NOC):
    • Major Group 72, industrial, electrical and construction trades
    • Major Group 73, maintenance and equipment operation trades
    • Major Group 82, supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production
    • Major Group 92, processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators
    • Minor Group 632, chefs and cooks
    • Minor Group 633, butchers and bakers

    The major NOC groups are subdivided into different occupations, and they are all skill type B.

    You must show that you performed the duties set out in the lead statement of the occupational description in the NOC. This includes all the essential duties and most of the main duties listed.

    If you do not show that your experience meets the description in the NOC, we won’t accept your application.

    Find the NOC code, title and skill type or level for your job.


    Federal Skilled Trades Program applications must be made based on the 2016 version of the NOC.


    There is no education requirement for the Federal Skilled Trades Program. But, if you want to improve your rank in the Express Entry pool, there are 2 ways you can do this.

    • if you went to school in Canada, you can get points for a certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian
    • secondary (high school) or
    • post-secondary school


    • If you have foreign education, you can get points for
    • a completed foreign credential and
    • an Educational Credential Assessment report from an approved agency showing that your education is equal to a completed certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian:
    • secondary (high school) or
    • post-secondary school

    Language ability

    You must

    • meet the minimum score of Canadian Language Benchmark 5 for speaking and listening, and Canadian Language Benchmark 4 for reading and writing

    Take approved language tests for

    • writing
    • reading
    • listening
    • speaking

    Enter the test results in your Express Entry profile

    Your language tests are valid for 2 years after the date of the test result. They must be valid on the day you apply for permanent residence.

    Proof of funds

    You must show that you have enough money for you and your family to settle in Canada, unless you


     You must be admissible to Canada.

    Where you can live in Canada

    You must plan to live outside the province of Quebec. The province of Quebec selects its own skilled workers. If you plan on living in Quebec, see Quebec-selected skilled workers for more information.

    Get assessed by the province or territory

    You’ll likely have to go to the province or territory to be assessed for your trade. You may also need an employer in Canada to give you experience and training.

    To learn more about getting assessed, you should go to the website of the body that governs trades for the province/territory where you would like to live and work. The process is different, depending on where you want to go.

    Each website has more details about certificates of qualification to work in that province or territory in a specific skilled trade, and what you have to do to get one.

    If your trade is not regulated by a province or territory, it may be federally regulated (for example, airplane mechanic). You can find out who regulates your trade by visiting the website of the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials.