Hiring Foreign Nationals

Temporary Foreign Worker Program


The Temporary Foreign Worker Program lets you hire temporary workers to fill labour and skill shortages.

You’ll need an LMIA from Employment and Social Development Canada, Service Canada.

An LMIA confirms

  • there is a need for a temporary worker
  • no Canadians are available to do the job


Most employers need a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) before they can hire a temporary worker. Before you start the hiring process, you must determine if you need an LMIA. If you do need an LMIA, you must hire the temporary worker through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP).

The TFWP lets employers hire foreign workers to fill temporary labour and skill shortages. A positive LMIA will show that there is a need for the foreign worker to fill the job you are offering and that there is no Canadian worker available to do the job.

Once a positive LMIA has been issued, you should provide a copy of the confirmation letter to each temporary worker and advise each of them to apply for a work permit.

You can find more information about LMIAs, application forms and employers’ responsibilities on Employment and Social Development Canada’s Temporary Foreign Worker Program web page.